Friday, September 24, 2010

Crafting Continued

Hale is full of great ideas for encouraging and improving student writing. She has developed a system of crafts, mini-lessons and conference strategies that are brilliant and, with some thought and dedicated time, look to be relatively simple to implement. A careful eye and a patient tongue may actually be the most arduous skills to master in her scheme.

In the midst of the discussion and explanation of some of her conferring strategies (precisely between pages 121 and 124), Hale makes two subtle, harmonizing notes about her art, namely that one must remember to help build a students confidence and, from that foundation, present them with tools for self-evaluation. Throughout Crafting Writers, Hale faithfully sews the same warm thread of encouraging students, crossing crafts into compliments and using her conferences to recognize “legitimate” talents. Building the foundation of self-confidence in a student can help to develop a student’s “internal motivation,” which she notes must always be discovered and is never imparted. With a sturdy foundation as a “scholar,” they will have what they need to begin the (sometimes intimidating) task of reflection.

From a personal perspective, I know that encouragement at the early grades can be a great help in encouraging writing throughout one’s life – in my doubting moments, I still remind myself of Ms. Garrison’s (my 5th and 6th grade teacher) thoughtful compliments. Teaching students, “all students” (121) their strengths is crucial to their development as writers, academicians and as individuals.

I recognize that much of this is recap with, perhaps, a little bit of romanticism about actually crafting writers, but it brings me to what really is one of my only questions: will there ever be students where it is best not to point out their strengths?

My gut reaction is “no, that’s nonsense and just mean.” I think I agree with myself, but I am curious to read what others might think. I can imagine a student whose self-confidence has ballooned into a pig-headed arrogance – is it appropriate not to notice their strengths?

Again, I don’t think this is the case. Pointing out strengths might actually be the only way to reach a student who is in that frame of mind, appealing to their pride while pointing out areas of improvement.

On a side note, does anyone else have trouble coming up with meaningful, relevant questions from some of our readings? With Hale, I find that she is straightforward I agree with pretty much everything she has to say. The questions I had as I read, she resolved with her balanced approach. I’m digging deep (as you can see above) to come up with some good interaction with the reading. If you have suggestions in coming up with questions, please feel free to share.

6 comments:

  1. The commitment to pointing out strengths in student writing was what really struck me from the writing also. I think it is an excellent practice and a good thing to keep in mind. Even when a student is overly confidant about their writing, we will be pointing out ways to improve, so a strength adds balance to the conversation.
    It is hard to do anything but agree with Hale, I agree with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't think of a time when it wouldn't be prudent to point out a student's strengths during a conference. Children with overinflated senses of self have often spent much of their lives being praised for mostly nothing. To have a substantive positive evaluation can only be a good thing for them and for everyone who has to live with them. You won't cure what ails them, but they'll have something to look back on to know that all that praise wasn't a complete lie.

    Yes, I do have trouble coming up with meaningful questions. My post on these readings is dead boring. I think that's a sign that the book is well-written and has much to offer. I had some questions last week, but these readings helped to clear some of those up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Patti, I think your thoughts on praise are amazingly interesting. The idea of substantive positive evaluation can only be a good thing and that it may balance some of the excessive but ultimately meaningless praise is one to ponder.

    Art - I think going from your personal experience is best when dealing with this - the bit about your teacher and her compliments and your emotions about them is something I think would be fascinating to read about. If you don't have questions but you do have experiences that validate your belief in what you're reading, I think that would be great stuff to share in detail.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also agree that it's hard to disagree with what we're reading each week, just as it's hard to ask questions about something that you don't know anything about! I feel that our blog posts give us the opportunity to "turn and talk" in an easily-shared forum. (Another teaching technique being used upon us!) We're learning from each other while showing that we've processed the information assigned to us. The questions we pose to each other may not be so much about questioning the material but about getting feedback to clarify our thoughts on a subject to keep us thinking and blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll play devil's advocate. How about an exceptionally intelligent 5th grader who is being lazy with their work, doing average writing with minimum effort? I would be comfortable suggesting they re-write their work and give them suggestions on how to improve it without being complimentary of their first attempt. Now that said, I would not give up on trying to engage the student -- if they are bored or disengaged because the subject of their writing is boring or disengaging, that is easily mendable. But if they are simply "getting by" because they know they can, I would call it out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful discussion here, prompted by your great question! My goal is to help children set high standards for themselves and I find that this happens naturally when they are writing for real audiences (not a grade or for praise) and when they are writing to accomplish something that matters to them. You'll be amazed what happens when children are committed to their work.

    ReplyDelete